Wednesday, August 30, 2006

I can’t sleep…so I guess I’ll update my blog?

My stress level has been ‘high’ lately. Our lab group’s acronym is DISP, and we sometimes refer to the DISPerometer as an indicator of desperation. It’s high, too. The good thing is that I work REALLY WELL when “the going get’s tough.” With little sleep, I awake very refreshed and am extremely productive. It’s like an extreme version of being “in the zone” (ITZ.) The bad news is that I frequently forget to eat meals, sometimes forget to eat altogether. Combined with my inability to sleep in these situations, after an extended period of time, I’m going to get physically sick. I'm not even joking.

So, I’m awake at 3:30am, debated about going to the lab to continue writing my Master’s thesis, and decided it’s probably best for me to stay at home for now. (I feel like I need to hold myself back sometimes in order to prevent myself from actually getting sick. It has happened before.)

Why are stress levels so high?

  • Based on two projects, the research part for my master thesis is basically done. However, the write-up has been hanging over my head for literally months now. I missed my personal deadline to have it done over the summer. I’m trying to get a rough draft done this week before my trip to Las Vegas (see below).

  • Classes just started. Luckily I’m only taking one class this semester.

  • I didn’t end up going to Charlotte last week, and am going to need to go on Thursday. I’m going to miss my class’s second lecture. This is moderately annoying.

  • On Friday through Monday, (Labor Day weekend) I’m going to Las Vegas with Gregg, Tony, and Richard. Next weekend I’m visiting my grandparents (mom’s parent’s) in Florida. The following weekend is the Grad School basketball ticket Campout. (Haven’t even thought about a ticket group, yet.)

  • The Fitzpatrick Center Annual Meeting is at the end of the month, which means I need to do a poster. Also, a conference is on the radar for October, so flights and hotel need to be booked.

I’ll stop now, but the list goes on.

1 Comments:

At 10:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

so...this is why engineers don't typically have to write papers - the whole "open-ended deadline, open-ended length, open-ended-ish topics" are really stressful!
just win a crapload of money with blackjack in vegas...then you can drop out of grad school! and next time you can't sleep, just pick up 1776 for 2 minutes.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home