Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Avocados and Bananas

Finally a new post! At least I’m starting off the month right. This post comes from this past weekend (technically Friday). I ate dinner with Katie at the Blue Corn Café on 9th Street. We were originally thinking Cosmic, but this ended up being a great setting for another Classic Portnoy adventure. Our waitress finishes the list of the day’s specials and also mentions that they are out of avocado. Searching for an appropriate sarcastic remark, I proceed to order my quesadilla as listed on the menu requesting it be served with the traditional lettuce, tomato, cheese, and extra guacamole. Her response probably included shaking her head from side to side, uttering, “sure thing”, all the while thinking, “stupid American.” Though I admit she completely caught me off guard when returning as she announced for us a basket of chips and guacamole. I definitely turned my head with excitement only to find a cup of salsa. Very impressive and well played, indeed.

Any thoughts on why I enjoy pretending to be oblivious? I’m not sure why, but this story reminds me a little of some self checkout adventures at the local supermarket…unfortunately, those will have to wait because I’m still looking for my tarjeta de Kroger. (pronounced: tar-JET-a, of course.)

1 Comments:

At 10:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

haha, yeah this is actually more funny than when i heard you say it. i didn't hear you mention the part about them being out of avocados!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home