Monday, January 22, 2007

New Computer

My desktop computer just stopped working so I needed to get a new one. Turning to the world leader in silicon innovation, I build a computer based on the Intel Core 2 Duo processor. My chip actually has 2 processors within the same chip package, each running at 2.13 GHz (with 2GB of RAM). Built on Intel’s 65 nm technology, roughly 291 million transistors arranged in an area that's 143 mm^2.


More information about the process is located here, but I’d like to point out that the gate oxide thickness is only 1.2 nm, which is basically a distance of no more than 10 molecules. “These guys are good.”

I did learn that Intel’s design team in
Haifa, Israel contributed significantly to the processor’s high performance, low power multi core architecture. It's powerful in application, not in energy consumption.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home