Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Am I speaking English?

Sometimes I have a difficult time communicating with people, and other times, people just don't get my jokes. Does anyone have any advice? Here are some examples:

Me: “Hey that’s a nice jacket.”
Anonymous 1: “Thanks.”
Me: “Is it warm?”
Anonymous 1: “No, it’s cold outside.”
[The antecedent of “it” was meant to be “the jacket” not “the weather”]

Me: “Hey, I heard that the metal used to make a penny is actually worth more than a cent.”
Anonymous 2: “Yeah, me too.”
Me: “Don’t you find it ironic that pennies were once made out of Nickel?”
Anonymous 2: “Yeah, I think so.”
Anonymous 1: “Huh?”
Me: “The element Nickel also shares its name with a coin of a different value.”
Anonymous 1: “Haha, yeah, that’s funny.”
Anonymous 2: “Oh, now I get it.

Labels:

1 Comments:

At 11:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

haha okay I think the jacket thing is silly, because it's probably Anonymous 1's fault that your question didn't make sense. Maybe they were trying to make a joke that you didn't get...
I think the nickel/penny thing is funny. I am sure Anonymous 1 and 2 both got it....maybe anonymous 2 came in on the tail end of your comment and didn't realize what you were talking about.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home